Consider enhancing your professional qualifications and imporving your industry by serving as a Board Member of The Alabama Golf Course Superintendents Association. The following information will educate you to the resonsibilities of serving. Please contact Melanie B0nds or the President of the AGCSA if you would like more information.
Responsibilities of the Board Members include the following:
The Board member contributes to the development of the chapter's mission and participates in governing the implementation of that mission. The board sets the direction of the association. Board members help lead the association through consideration and decision-making authority regarding association policy issues. The board member is an elected representative of the membership at-large.
Duties of the board member:
1. Attends most board meetings and membership meetings. (Six or Seven regular meetings per year and approximately seven board meetings per year. Board meetings last approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours.)
2. Reviews the agenda and all material in advance of board meetings and contributes to the discussion of issues and business to be addressed at scheduled chapter meetings.
3. Chairs committees when asked by the president.
4. Votes at board meetings to decide policy issues and motions presented to the board of directors by the president and committees.
5. Represents the chapter in a positive and professional manner at all times and in all
BOARD MEMBER COMMITMENT PLEDGE
I will exercise the duties and responsibilities of this office with integrity, collegiality and care.
1. To establish as a high priority my attendance at all meetings of the board, committees and task forces on which I serve.
2. To come prepared to discuss the issues and business to be addressed at scheduled meetings, having read the agenda and relevant background material.
3. To work with and respect the opinions of my peers who serve this board, and leave my personal prejudices out of all board discussions.
4. To always act for the good of the organization.
5. To represent the organization in a positive and supportive manner at all times and in all places.
6. To observe the parliamentary procedures, and display courteous conduct in all board, committee and task force meetings.
7. To refrain from intruding on administrative issues that are the responsibility of management, except to monitor the results and prohibit methods that conflict with board policy.
8. To avoid conflicts of interest between my position as a board member and my personal life. If such conflict does arise, I will declare that conflict before the board and refrain from voting on matters in which I have conflict.
9. To support in a positive manner all actions taken by the Board of Directors even when I am in a minority position on such actions.
10. To agree to serve on at least one committee or task force, attend all meetings, and participate in the accomplishment of its objective. If I chair the board, a committee or a task force, I will:
a. call meetings as necessary until objectives are met
b. ensure that the agenda and support materials are mailed to all members in advance of the meetings
c. conduct the meetings in an orderly, fair, open and efficient manner
d. make committee program report/minutes to the board at its scheduled meetings
11. As needed, to participate in:
a. strategic planning retreats
b. board self-evaluation programs
c. board development workshops, seminars, and other educational events which enhance my skills as a board member
d. fund raising and ensure the organization has adequate funding for its programs.